Suchitra at ThePhdMama tagged me and passed on the Versatile Blogger award. Thank you Suchi! Reading her email brought forth a rush of memories about my early days as a blogger when awards were plentiful and there was sincere joy in flaunting and passing on the baton.
Perhaps it is my age, perhaps it is that I no longer follow as many blogs but when I saw the email, it was nostalgia that swept over me. So in lieu of tagging others, I will thank Suchitra for tagging me and urge readers to share random facts about themselves in the comments.
Seven facts I discovered rather recently about me.
- I am an introvert. This was such a revelation for me. For years I thought of myself as wanting attention. I remember days in school and college when I would be the first to raise my hand, the first to head to the dais and the first to volunteer for anything that needed a hand. Over the past few years, I realize I prefer intimate groups to large ones, conversation over dancing and thought before talk. These days I think a lot before volunteering for anything, I resist small talk and prefer to stay in the fringe rather than take the limelight.
- I stutter when I am stressed or excited. This has been happening recently. Job interviews, new crowds, doctors. The list is few but each time I feel like what I say is important, I feel my body chill, my words tumble over each other and a shivering that has nothing to do with the ambient temperature.
- I care about people. Often when I am cold shouldered, ignored or sidelined, I pretend it is OK. I pretend that I am are bigger than them but I am not. I rue over it. I think about it when I am lonely. I dissect my behavior to see what could have been the problem. I blame myself. Sometimes a good cry helps.
- I am particular about portion sizes when I am sharing. Each morning as I divvy up food between three boxes, I pack Laddu’s first and then divide the rest equally between the twins. I take my time, squint and look at the boxes from different angles until I am convinced they really are equal. I count equal number of grapes, berries and anything that is discrete.
- I have rediscovered reading the way I did when I was a child. Each morning I wait for the kids to leave to school, Saathi to leave for work and I read. I read until the alarm goes and I have to leave to pick Laddu. I read each night after everyone is in bed. I am up until 2:30 and wake at 5:30. I tell myself I should nap and end up reading when I am supposed to be napping.
- I realize I rely on spellcheck and autocorrect so much that I have trouble with words I knew so well before. It appalls me (yes I had to think about the spelling to that too.)
- I love this phase of my life and because I know highs are followed by lows, I dread what is next.
Go on, be a sport, share something about you.