My debut children’s book “Why is my hair curly?” is now available for purchase on Amazon in Kindle and Audible formats. Click on the link to get your copy: getbook.at/WhyIsMyHairCurly
The paperback version is now available.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to leave comments, schedule author virtual sessions or ask questions.
Glossary of Tamil words used in the book.
- Amma: Mother
- Appa: Father
- Paati: Grandmother
- Thatha: Grandfather
- Chithappa: Father’s younger brother
- Chithi: Wife of father’s younger brother/mother’s younger sister
- Vadaam: Sun-dried rice crisps which are fried to make a snack
- Palapazham: Jackfruit
- Maavadu: Baby mangoes pickled in brine
- Bakshanam: A collective name for deep-fried snacks (savoury and sweet)
- Kutties: Little ones
- Rava kesari: A sweet made of cream of wheat, clarified butter and sugar, garnished with fried cashews and raisins
- Akka: Older sister
- Rakshashi: Demoness
- Kaapi: Decoction made from pouring steaming water over coffee grounds. Specific to South India
- Murukku: Deep-fried rice snack known for its distinctive swirls that come from handcrafting it.
- Lemon rice: Rice mixed with the juice of lemons and garnished with a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Maami: A generic term for middle-aged women in South India.
- Dosai: Thin, savoury crepes made from fermented rice-lentil batter.
- Chutney: A spicy dip typically made from coconut, green chilles and salt.
- Pattama: A term of endearment that approximates to ‘my silken one’.
- CSK: Abbreviation for Chennai Super Kings, a cricket team in the International Premier League.
- Poori: A deep-fried bread made from wheat flour.
- Aloo Masala: Side of mashed potatoes with onions, tomatoes and green chillies.
- Kannu: A term of endearment
- Naada: Drawstring that is used with the salwar.
- Peon: Admin staff who runs errands in offices.
- Chellam: A term of endearment that means ‘dear’
- Ammu: A term of endearment
- Paapa: Tamil word for baby
- Thambi: Younger brother
- Ayyo: A term of annoyance or surprise.
- Kannamma: A term of endearment.
- Kannu: A term of endearment.
- Ulla Vaango: Ulla Vaango is to ask someone to come inside respectfully.
- Maapilai: A term for son-in-law in Tamil.