Notes to myself

This is more of a diary like entry for me so Kay and Cee can someday read back and know how their first day at school/daycare was.

The day leading to and day of joining was almost like Deepavali. I had their new clothes laid out and ready to wear the following day right down to little socks and shoes. I had their lunch boxes, bags, straw cups, sippy cups labeled and ready to be filled. I had juice boxes, snacks, yogurt all individually wrapped. I snapped pictures of everything.

The day dawned bright and early in our home. The lights were on, the cooker hissing and the kitchen island in a state of chaos. At about 9:00 AM, the girls were dressed in new clothes, lunch bags ready, a huge backpack filled with spare clothes, sunscreen, hats, caps, socks, non prescription medication all set. A three page letter to the teacher stuck in one of the side pockets.

Praying to God, falling at Amma’s feet, blowing a thousand air kisses, we finally set off. Excitement and anxiety was writ large on my face. Kay and Cee were blissfully unaware of the impending changes. All they cared about was that they were going ta ta with Amma and Appa.

We reached the school and walked in hearts thudding. The principal sat at her desk and said Hi and asked us to go right into class. We walked down and entered the class where 6 other pint-sized kids sat around a table. There were two teachers in class and we introduced ourselves. Setting the bags down, we stood awhile waiting for the girls to get used to the new surroundings. I then got down on my knees and lowered Kay. She clung on but was curious to see so many kids like her. Tempted by a small chair and goldfish crackers she stepped away. A little bit later Cee joined her. In less than five minutes they joined the rest for circle time and we said bye and slipped away.

We left after letting the teacher know what was in each bag. Reaching the car, I felt relief wash over me. I smiled till I reached work and spent the rest of the day staring at my phone either itching to call to find out how the girls were doing or scared that I might get a call. Come 4:15 K and I set out again this time smiles stretching from ear to ear. As we walked into their class, Kay spied us and came a running. Cee was playing by herself with a book. Carrying them I felt so much love that I could have exploded. Proud of them for being such big girls we left with notes on what they did the entire day.

After all the anticipation, first day at school couldn’t have been better. šŸ™‚

Mom to three. Open adoption advocate. Writer.

8 Comment on “Notes to myself

Leave a Reply to ramya Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: